Friday, December 21, 2007

The power of suggestion

Ahhh...Christmas 2007. It's here!!! This means more lines, crowded stores, parking lots, not to mention savvy one finger waves and four letter words. Yay! Every year, it never ceases to amaze me just how much more petty and moronic we can make this gift giving season, with its endless array of snowmen this, santa that, hurry-and-break-out-your wallet for that "last minute" item that will only set your family back on average $500-$1000 or more in debt this year. When, at the end of the week, you won't give 2 you know what's about what you just bought today.

Just "Gotta have" because everyone else has, or some store told me in their slick ads I had to have:

1. Iphone
2. Nintendo Wii
3. Slingbox
4. Halo 3
5. Guitar Hero 3
6. Hannah Montana

Before you indulge that "inner spoiled child" whether it be your own kids or yourself, just think about that January credit card bill, and that should sober your spending habits back a bit, especially when we think about the interest rate hikes and oil prices. Hey, I'm writing this as much for myself as anyone else. I'd like an iphone, a PS3 and a new Xbox 360, but I don't have the discretionary funds for any of those things, so I refuse to stretch myself for something that can wait a few years. So what if it's Christmas? I will find something else to ask Santa for. And I will be happier and in less debt because of it. Sorry, retailers.

But wait? What about the power of suggestion? I bet my last few sentences depressed the hell out of you.

"Why, you grinch! You have absolutely no Christmas spirit!"

They (the media) are speculating/wondering if Oprah Winfrey's endorsement of Barack Obama is going to have any effect on voters. Well, let's think about that for a moment. She's just come out with a list of her "favorite things" for 2007. Among them are a Breville panini press, KitchenAid mixer and mixing bowls from a well known kitchen supply chain. Last I checked, those tems were sold out everywhere, or at least very hard to get, not just the chain store from whom she recommended you buy.

So does this mean what she says will mean something to voters? I don't know if my flimsy theory will hold up, but it's an interesting observation nonetheless.


Also, let's not forget the weathermen. Nope, I'm not leaving you guys out either.

"Major ice/snow event headed for ____. Officials brace for possible massive power outages. Headaches expected at airports"

I love that. "Braces for" is a nice term for "you better haul your butts to the mall and grocery store TODAY and buy buy buy!!!!" And where do I get my tickets to this "event?" Oh wait, they're free. I never get anything for free.

Well, I guess I'll stay home and drink hot chocolate out of the santa mug I paid too much for yesterday, play my PS3 until the power goes out, and when that happens I'll try to cash in that free night at the Residence Inn, if I can make it there on the 2 inch thick iced over roads.

Wait...they're full. I just called them on my iphone. Damn.

(What was that? Did someone just flip me off in the parking lot?)

No comments: