Sunday, January 6, 2008

Frustrating fundamentals

I found an Independent Baptist preacher on youtube whose video sermons I tried to watch with an open mind. Now I was raised with this so much of his preaching was like an old hat in a way, taking me back to my childhood. I smiled at some of his words but then got really angry at others.
One of the things he was talking about was where "saved" Christians must be now if they aren't in his congregation. He alluded to the fact that they might be in some "wacky liberal" church if they had left his church after having been saved by his "soul winners."

Well, jiminy Christmas, if they decided not to stay in his church, they must have just "fallen" and got sucked into something less austere. That made me so mad, I cannot tell you. No mention that they might just be exploring something else, going deeper into Christian history or anything, just that they must be "wacky liberals" now. To his credit, he did say that maybe they might be going to "mom and dad's" church instead. But that could mean anything, really, according to his interpretation. Mom and dad's church could mean "the wacky liberal Methodists or Anglicans" or "the Mary-worshipping Catholics" or "the singing Orthodox." Take your pick.

Or they might not be going at all, he said. "Not everyone is on fire for the Lord, and many people are just too afraid to get that close to God." WHAT?????

So fine, if I don't go to his church, that's okay, but it must just mean I'm in some "namby pamby" church or just "not on fire for God," are the basic conclusions.

What I think it really means is a way to explain away the people that probably leave his congregation and he doesn't want to own up to it.

This all ties into the cult mindset of feeling like you are anointed and being chosen to be something "special" i.e. this man's ministry.

He preaches against having a television in your home, not watching DVD's, not allowing a woman to have a male gynecologist, and uses the word "faggot" to describe the sodomites (I think faggot is a vile, disgusting word and should not ever be used around children, and yeah, if I want a male OB gyn I'll have one, thank you very much.)

All you have to do is study these types of sermons to see what is really at play here:
1) Guilt trips
2) Mind/thought control
3) Abuse of scripture and reinterpretation for their own purposes
4) Attempts to take you out of the "world box" and put you into the "little box"
5) Make you question your independent thinking skills so you'll be right in line with their thinking and abandon anything you might question. Like this: the King James version of the Bible of 1611 is not the only version in existence, unlike what many people will shout from the mountaintops. And the hymns that Christians sing now (i.e. Amazing Grace) are not the same ones they sung when Christianity was first formed, although many people will want you to think that.

So I posted a little note that said "Well I was a Baptist and now I'm Orthodox and I feel closer to God than I ever have before." Well darnit if the guy didn't go and censor me! Can't have anyone of a different path posting on his little yoootoober there.

Not even open for discussion. That's what gets me. People that don't want their views or opinions challenged are everywhere, on every side of the fence. Just look and you'll find them.

You're not going to go to hell for watching TV. Last time I checked, the Bible was silent on that issue.

2 comments:

Fr. David said...

Thanks for posting on my blog; praise God that you're entering the Church! We had a blessed Theophany, thanks. Glad something I wrote could help you out. Keep in mind, though--and this is just my own experience--the Scriptures cited there were mostly beneficial for me; little or no (visible) effect was ever made by actually bringing up those points as counterarguments.

But perhaps you're not as argumentative as I was (and still can be!). Good for you, if that's the case...I'm just now, after five and a half years (more than that, if you count my catechumenate), learning to listen to the REAL concerns people have--concerns which they almost ALWAYS hide behind these prooftext-ed talking points.

Nice blog you got here. ;-)

Swordsandlace said...

I had a pretty bitter experience growing up Baptist, I will be completely honest. I didn't have the conviction to read the scriptures as much as you did as a young man and make those challenges, mainly because everything was so shoved in my face. That's why I think your blog spoke to me. It's taken me about 30years to get to this point but I'm so glad I did it. I met the Archbishop of Chicago last fall and his words summed it all up for me, "All in God's time."
Our lifetimes are but a blink of an eye in God's time.