Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Buzz words, phrases and mispellings I'm sick of

As I watch these political debates, caucuses and primaries, I'm getting tired of certain phrases used by the candidates and media. Maybe it's the result of the writer's strike or something, I don't know. But something's got to give with this terrible use of the English language, and its deterioration in our everyday lives. A few examples:

"At the end of the day..." followed by whatever tag line du jour, used with the intention to prop up either side's candidate. All networks and print media seem to be guilty of this. (This means what exactly?) Taking the "moral high ground" and assuming something about American voters that they want or don't want, which may or may not be true? Frankly, it's overused and they need to get more creative with their coverage (or attempt thereof) GET RID OF IT! It sucks.

Okay. Home remodeling shows that keep using the phrase, "Make your room POP with color," "Just make that room you know, POP" and, "I wanna get that to just POP out." Almost every designer I watch is guilty of using this statement, and again, it's overused. The producers of these shows need to get with it.

"Absolutely." This word seems to be used as a put down rather than an agreeable statement. "Oh, absoloootely," with emphasis is particularly annoying when stressing a point that contradicts with another, combined with a condescending smile. This is particularly popular with guests on talk shows that want to duke it out regarding their ideology.

News reports. "Why this incident happened or why Mr. X did not return our phone calls was immediately unclear."
Unclear, inconclusive.....this means that they probably know but have been instructed not to say because it is immediately UNCLEAR just who might lose their jobs if they spill the beans. It's a nice little idiotic disclaimer that I hear or read every day, and it's really wearing me out.

"Couple minutes," "Couple times," "Couple pieces of..."
What's missing here? The word OF, of course! Come on...it's a simple one syllable word that won't take but a second to type or say.

"Your a moron."
"Your a great person, don't ever change!"
"Your so great!"
Sigh....must I keep going? "You are" means "You're!"

"Like you know, he was like, OMG! And like, I go, like yeah!"
"Hey like how ya doin? Like dude....OMG..."
(Do I REALLY need to explain this one?)

"Well you know I would of gone if I'd of known."
Sigh, I guess people just don't understand plain English anymore and can actually type or say, "I would have gone if I would have known," or I would've gone if I'd have known." RIDICULOUS!

Just another ramble from me on the downfall of our society as Americans.

No comments: