Friday, June 20, 2008

New home

We arrived at our new home in Ohio this week. Unpacking 170 boxes and dealing with a sick cat has not been my idea of a fun time. Many tears have been shed these last few days trying to get used to this transition. I'm missing my parish dearly and my previous home and neighbors as well.

But this weekend I'm going to start at another parish, and this one has opportunities for missionary work in Guatemala. Maybe this is part of God's plan for me. They say everything you go through just makes you stronger. With everything that has happened to me over the course of my life, I should be like 10 inch steel, but I feel no more strength in me than a piece of paper right now.

Every day I pray though, and I feel a hand helping me up the cliff. It's like the poem "Footprints"


Footprints in the Sand

One night I dreamed of walking along the shores of different lands.
I could tell that You were with me by the footprints in the sand.
As I gazed upon the heavens, I saw pages of my life.
It was then I realized that You remained there by my side.

When the clouds began to gather and the rains came falling down,
I looked to only find one set of footprints on the ground.
I said, "Lord, why did You leave me in the troubled times of life?
I believed that You would always walk beside me day and night."

(Then I heard:)
"My precious child, I'd never leave you.
I have carved you on the hollow of My hand.
It's then I carried you in My arms,
When you see one set of footprints in the sand"

Dear Lord, will You be with me as I travel through the years?
Will You be there in the struggles? Will You wipe away the tears?
As my eyes turn toward the ocean and the shores of distant lands,
I'm still thinking of the single set of footprints in the sand.

(I heard Him say:)
"My precious child, I'd never leave you.
I have carved you on the hollow of My hand.
It's then I carried you in My arms,
When you see one set of footprints in the sand."

Will I hear the angels singing, as my life comes to an end.
Oh Lord, I long to see You. Will You be there once again?
My eyes turn toward the heavens, along the path of foreign lands,
Once more, I'm thinking of the set of footprints in the sand.

(Jesus said:)
"My precious child, I'd never leave you.
See your name carved on the hollow of My hand.
I'm here to carry you to your home.
You will see one set of footprints in the sand.

2 comments:

Heather said...

You have been on my mind all week. I am glad to know you made it to your new home. I remember moving to Nashville and having my best friend move to Houston 6 months later and feeling like I was alone. Thank God for your husband and that you have found a parish to visit. I hope the visit goes well.

Heather

P.S. Footprints is my favorite poem. I have relied on it's meaning MOST of my life.

Swordsandlace said...

Things are starting to get better. The house feels bigger than what I imagined or have ever been accustomed to. Still, you never know how much crap you really have until you unpack it all. I'm sure we'll make room for it LOL.