Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I'm getting really tired...

of people that seem to be ashamed to admit where they are from. Two professionals, who I know very well that got their undergraduate degrees in Oklahoma, have gone on to pursue advanced academic degrees in other places. One on the West coast, and one on the East. Neither one of them now will admit in public that they got their undergraduate degrees in Oklahoma. Why? I'll tell you why. Because it's considered bad form for your careers to do that, if you venture outside the Red River boundary.
It's bad to admit you went to school in OKLAHOMA. It's bad to say that you were ever physically inside that rat infested, tornado bait white trash hellhole of a place, where only bible thumpers and stupid people breed and live. It's just such a horrible, horrible place. There's no life there. No class. It's not Harvard. Not Ivy League. Not Berkeley. Not like San Francisco or Boston. They're not like us.
"Your career will fail if you tell them you went to school in Oklahoma. Just better to leave that off your resume altogether." It has actually been suggested to me, now that I'm in KC, and not by just one person, to leave my Master's degree off my resume completely (which I got from OU I will add) and pretend I don't even have one. To that, I say go back to whatever it was you were smoking and shut the hell up. Seriously. I won't lie and that's what that would be, wouldn't it? I could say I went to Harvard. But that would be lying and I won't stoop to such atrocities. I'm very proud of my Sooner Heritage and anyone who wants to challenge that can pucker up and kiss my very proud Sooner ass.
Here is a list of some famous Oklahomans:

Johnny Bench, baseball player, Oklahoma City
John Berryman, poet, MacAlester
Garth Brooks, singer, Tulsa
Jeremy Castle, singer, Blanchard
Iron Eyes Cody, Cherokee actor
Gordon Cooper, astronaut, Shawnee
Ralph Ellison, writer, Oklahoma City
James Garner, actor, Norman
Owen K. Garriott, astronaut, Enid
Vince Gill, singer, Norman
Chester Gould, cartoonist, Pawnee
Woodrow Wilson Woody Guthrie, singer, composer, Okemah
Ike,Taylor, Zac Hanson music, Tulsa
Roy Harris, composer, Lincoln Cty
Paul Harvey, broadcaster, Tulsa
Van Heflin, actor, Walters
Tony Hillerman, author, Sacred Heart
Ron Howard actor, director, Duncan
Karl Guthe Jansky, engineer, Norman
Ben Johnson, actor, Pawhuska
Jennifer Jones, actress, Tulsa
Jeane Kirkpatrick, diplomat, Duncan
Shannon Lucid, astronaut, Bethany
Mickey Charles Mantle, baseball player, Spavinaw
Reba McEntire, singer, McAlester
Shannon Miller, Olympic gymnast, Edmond
Bill Moyers, journalist, Hugo
Daniel Patrick Moynihan, N.Y. senator, Tulsa
Patti Page, singer, Clarence
Brad Pitt, actor Shawnee
Tony Randall, actor, Tulsa
Oral Roberts, evangelist, Ada
Dale Robertson, actor, Oklahoma City
Will Rogers, humorist, Oologah
Dan Rowan, comedian, Beggs
Robert Stemmons, whistler, Tulsa
Maria Tallchief, ballerina, Fairfax
James Francis Jim Thorpe, athlete, Prague
Jeanne Tripplehorn, actress, Tulsa
Ted Shackleford, actor, Tulsa
Wilma Mankiller, Cherokee chief, Tahlequah

To those of you that are dissing your Okie background, one day you will wish you didn't. Karma has a funny way of coming full circle.

I guess Will Rogers never met you.

No comments: