Monday, August 20, 2007

Why I believe

By all accounts, given my upbringing, I should be a non-believer. It is amazing to me, as I look back, how I didn't stray. But here I will share my story of faith, how I have remained a believer in God, and why I have decided to leave my Protestant roots and become an Orthodox Christian. I will try to be concise.


As a child, about 4 or 5, I was shuttled to a Baptist Sunday School every week on a bus from my home, alone, without my mother and father, and this was because of their own choice. They chose not to attend church, but instead, to send me there by myself. I don't remember how long this went on but it was difficult. Sure, I had fun watching the teachers put the felt Bible characters on the story board and getting to draw and make things, but I had no family to enjoy the service with like everyone else there. My parent would take me to Long John Silver's or to the ice cream parlor when I got home, but they wouldn't go to church with me. I never could really understand this. I'm sure they had good intentions, but it left me feeling pretty abandoned.
A close relative finally got me into a regular routine at a different Baptist church, and there I began to make friends and feel somewhat connected. But my school life was totally different. Because I could read by age four and could not attend public school yet until age five (this was in the early 70's) I went to religious schools. First, Methodist, for one year then non-denominational for one year, then Lutheran for one year, then another Baptist for one year. My parents weren't too keen on the public school system where I grew up so private school it was. The Baptist school I attended was the absolute worst.
Now I am not knocking Baptists. As I said, the Baptist church I went to on a regular basis was really fun and I enjoyed the youth group, the minister's services, etc. I even wanted to get baptized at age 7. But I was told no. I was told that I was not ready yet. But I felt ready. Being at my regular church was so cool for me. And then come Monday morning I would have to go to that awful Baptist school.
Demerits for my skirt being too short. I was too young to wear makeup, but I could never cut my hair. Couldn't wear pants. Had to memorize x amount of Bible verses every week. I made D's and F's in just about everything, even though I was capable of so much more. Chapel every Friday. Couldn't fall asleep or that would mean a trip to the principal's office. One kid did and he got paddled so bad I will never forget him sitting in the back of the class red eyed and snivveling (sp?) for the rest of the day. Having any kind of sexual questions/thoughts was considered absolutely forbidden, and no way would we talk about it. I tried to make up excuses every day to get out of going to school because I hated it that much.
Then, one day, while my parents were out of town and I was staying with my grandma, I decided that instead of studying for a test I'd just cheat. So I did. And I got caught. But instead of waiting until my parents were home to get approval to punish me, I got paddled on my lunch. I won't describe the event in detail but suffice it to say that it was one of the most humiliating things I have ever experienced. I had to hear the principal's condemnations of me with every whack of that paddle.
Once I did have the nerve to tell my mother (several months later) she listened, and I thought I would get the same thing again from her. But she was really cool about it. She took up for me, and I never went back to that school. I just don't think she realized what an abusive situation it was.
My mother held the values of a Christian, but also leaned toward the secular humanist side on a lot of things. So I was pretty confused. My dad wasn't one to think on a lot of those things so he just didn't discuss it. Why all the religious schools then, you ask? I don't know. I wish I could ask my mom now. But more on that later.
The fanatical evangelists tried to convert my family and tell us we were going to hell unless we repented and asked Jesus for forgiveness and confessed everything publicly. This I had a problem with, because so much in our life is private and we really need to have a PRIVATE relationship with God. So I've never understood this need to make everything public because, when it comes to organized religion, let's face it, people want to make YOUR business THEIR business. THEY know what's best for you; YOU do not. It becomes a gradual loss of critical thinking skills and giving over to mass group peer pressure tactics instead of treating God like the sacred being that He is. So I never bought into that.
I've also never bought into sending your money into some church as a way to buy your forgiveness from God, because that just ain't true. All the guilt tactics, suppressive thought control, you name it, I was part of it. I knew it was wrong, but I was a child, what could I do? If I voiced my opinion, I was told that I didn't know right from wrong, someone else would need to make those choices for me. But God would prevail and all would be made well.
I just didn't get it all. I was confused. I wanted a relationship with God but I didn't understand all these guilt tactics, all the "tent revivals" and "must be in the church 5-6 times a week for anything to make a difference." They didn't want you listening to secular music or take an interest in anything at all outside of the confines of the church. Having friends outside the church was a complete no-no too. So how could this be Christian? "Well, we have to set an example and lead others to Christ. No swearing, no drinking. No outside influences." Well where do I sign up????
On top of this, at this point, I was going to public secular school where I was being exposed to all these "evils." I couldn't communicate with kids my own age BECAUSE I DIDN"T KNOW HOW.
Then my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer and I watched her die a slow and painful death. She didn't exactly deny God, but wouldn't put her faith and trust in Him to help her through the tough parts either. I prayed for her continuously. People from the church, well meaning, would come by to visit, but it would always wind up in some sort of anger match with her telling them to get out and leave her alone, that she didn't need their God. This hurt me terribly. Because deep down, despite all the things I'd suffered, I knew God was there. Even though she was dying, and we had no money, and we had nothing, I knew God was there. In her happier moments, she would talk about when she played organ at her own church growing up, and she was a very talented organist.
When she played, I knew God was there. But the bitterness of the disease overwhelmed her spirit a lot of times. I truly believe that because she was so strong willed and determined to do things "her way" with no help from above, that God had to use the cancer to get her attention and say hey wait a minute I am here, you need to take a look at Me. Now why would I say such a thing? Because she wanted to live her life without God's direction. She made many decisions without consulting the Lord first, and many of those decisions had to do with me. I grew up feeling very abandoned intellectually, socially, and emotionally.
But there is good news. She finally accepted the Lord and laid down her gauntlet toward the end and it was a beautiful thing to witness. How do I know that she is in Heaven? Well nobody told me that she is, but I will share another experience I had, and this leads me to believe that there is a God and He is in my life, working for me.
On April 19, 1995, a man named Timothy McVeigh drove a rented Ryder truck with explosives into the building where I worked and murdered 169 people. Yes that is including the unborn child for those of you reading this that don't want to consider a fetus equal to a human life.
I was in the stockroom of the Social Security Administration. Had I been at my desk I would not be writing this right now.
Within maybe 2-3 minutes of that explosion I was standing under an enormous skylight. We're talking hundreds of pounds of glass. I suddenly remembered something over in a corner I needed to get. I went to get that item and that's when the explosion occured. That skylight shattered, killing two of my friends beneath it.
I will not go into gruesome details, but terrible things happened to my co-workers in between the time that bomb went off and those floors pancaked over my office. Many of them did not die instantly. Meanwhile, I was trapped and could not see or hear for several minutes. I had no idea what had just happened; could not grasp the magnitude of it all.
When I was rescued, I crawled out of the space where that skylight had caved in. I had to crawl past the bloody, broken and dead body of my supervisor to get out, someone with whom I had just been chatting 45 minutes prior.
Now why would God do such a horrible thing? Or how could He allow something like this to happen, especially to innocent children?
Timothy McVeigh was an evil man. He was filled with evil and hatred for his country and his government. He premeditated this event. I stared into the man's evil eyes at his trial. He looked back into my eyes. What I saw was an evil man with no remorse.
Satan is the most terrifying creature ever known to man. Satan is the reason bad things happen. It is not God. Many people simply do not understand this.
I had a dream about 2 days after the bombing. In it, my supervisor was standing in my kitchen using my telephone to call her husband to tell her that she was okay. I went into my kitchen and asked "What are you doing in my kitchen?" to which she replied, "Oh, I just needed to use your phone real quick."
"Well, why are you here?" I asked.
"I am here to tell you that I am okay, that everybody is okay. You need to stop worrying about us, because we are all great."
She had a smile on her face. She was wearing blue jeans and a purple sweater and looked like she was ready to go out and work in her garden. That's how happy she looked.
"Do you have a picture I can take back for your mom?" she asks.
Whoa....I'm thinking...
"Yes, she has been asking about you. Wants to know how you've been at work. I said you've been great, but she wants a picture of you. She's so proud of you. She wanted me to tell you that."
So in my dream, I go get a picture out of a hatbox and bring it back, and hand it to my boss.
"Great!" she says. "Now, listen, like I said, don't you worry, and you're going to do great in your job. I have to go now."
Then she gave me a hug, and my front door opened. Light filled my living room. Then, she was gone.
I woke up.
Now some might say this was just some dream, some stupid silly dream that my mind concocted to ease the pain of the event. But my heart tells me differently. That it was a message from God, telling me that my boss was okay, because the last image I had of her was truly horrible, you cannot imagine. And also, it let me know where my mom was. Of course, I always knew. But it comforted me just the same.
Now on to my decision to become an Orthodox Christian. Because of all of the conflict I've been experiencing with Protestantism, I began to look at a way to resolve this conflict, because I knew there just had to be something deeper. I looked at Catholicism, but I always came up with answers that left me uneasy, such as priest celibacy (this does not exist in Orthodoxy although bishops are celibate) the huge emphasis on Mary (Orthodox hold her in high regard but not to such an exalted status like Catholics) papal infallibility (the Pope is an earthly man therefore he is infallible) and purgatory (Orthodox do not believe in purgatory)

From wikipedia:
The Orthodox Church is the historical, unbroken One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church established by Jesus Christ and the Twelve Apostles, having maintained unbroken the link between its clergy and the Apostles by means of Apostolic Succession and Sacred Tradition.
The ecclesial communion which has never fallen into error nor deviated from the beliefs and traditions of the original Christian body, but rather has gone to great lengths to preserve them for future generations. All theological concepts, all explanations and expansions are compared to and validated by the original core beliefs; no deviation is allowed.
The Christian body which most closely adheres to the canons of the first seven ecumenical councils held between the 4th and the 8th centuries.

It has survived Communism, a period of serving under Islam, the Great Schism, countless wars, persecution, yet it thrives today.
With the problems facing our society today, to walk into an Orthodox service and be enveloped by its beauty and mysticism is truly a healing art in and of itself.
In my opinion, many Christians would benefit from going back to their roots and exploring this rich and historic, beautiful tradition that does not engage in hate mongering, finger pointing, or judgmental name calling. Instead, what you see is a wonderful, spiritual, uplifting thing that can only be good and beneficial. God's love is all around us.
I cannot stand to see what has happened to modern Christianity today.
I have been to Russia (1990) and I have been inside some of the most beautiful Orthodox cathedrals: St. Isaacs in St Petersburg, the Lavra Monastery in Kiev, Cathedral of the Assumption in Moscow.
To meet Russians that were suppressed by a Communist regime and were finally allowed to pray again was an awesome experience. It is what planted the seed for me to do what I am doing now. I hope to help bring others to God and to Jesus by telling my story. I am but young in faith though. If God is to use me, He will do it in His way, in His time.

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost"
(Matthew 28:19)


Some interesting articles:


Click here to read an article from an anonymous Orthodox Christian concerning homosexuality:
http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles4/AnonymousStruggle.php

C.S. Lewis, a writer who many considered to be Orthodox, although he was a practicing Anglican:
http://orthodoxwiki.org/C._S._Lewis

Here are some FAQ's about Orthodoxy:
http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/questions.html

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I correct that the orthodox church doesn't condemn homosexuals but homosexual acts? That's like saying it's ok to be an atheist but atheist's shouldn't given credit for feeding the homeless because atheists views aren't acceptable in god's eyes.

Swordsandlace said...

Hi TX:

I really appreciate your post. I have only been studying Orthodoxy for about 2 years, so I'm certainly no expert, and I will admit that openly and freely. I can only tell you about what I have experienced and learned thus far. I'll try to answer your questions about homosexuality as best I can. Yes the Orthodox Church does condemn it because it's condemned by God. It is considered unnatural. Now, I have never been in that position personally so I cannot speak from experience. I'm sure it's very difficult to struggle with the issues that come along with the lifestyle. However, having said that, I'm sure that there are many homosexuals that have attended a service now and then. I certainly hope they haven't felt excluded or mistreated in any way, because it is like a large family, and everyone is welcome at the table. If I was working alongside a homosexual at a volunteer event for example, it would not bother me because I am supposed to treat them with kindess and respect as I would any other human being. These fringe groups that go around to the funerals with their signs saying "God hates fags" absolutely sicken me, and they make a mockery of true Christianity.

To quote from that article I posted:

"There really is no pressure, though, neither from the world or from God. Orthodox do not adhere to predestination. I have free will, as do all other sinners. I have the choice to live my way or God's way. My struggle, in many ways, is not much different than that of an alcoholic, or a compulsive gambler, or a married man who is tempted by other women. We either struggle to overcome these sins or we do not. Whichever choice we make, we will answer for it when we stand before the dread judgment seat."

I don't know really what else to elaborate on except what the author has said here. The Orthodox Church is probably the most tolerant branch of conservative Christianity you will find out there that isn't pointing the finger in some kind of way at somebody because of their choices or ranting on like that whats his name guy on youtube (he's a madman btw).
But we do live by the Bible, it is like a code if you will, and we believe there are consequences if we don't live by the code set before us. That's really I guess pretty much all I can say.
Last night I watched an Easter service in a CA Orthodox church on youtube and it was so beautiful it made me cry. I just wish more Christians could worship like that.
I hope I've helped to answer something for you. Thanks again for your post.

Anonymous said...

Well, god didn't say anything about homosexuality, just the guys who wrote the bible. I'm positive the bible says we are to kill homosexuals, true xianity. Why don't we do that if it's biblical and don't say that's the OT, I know that but it's still the bible and jesus never said to get rid of the OT. If you do then the 10 C goes also. The only issues I know of from gays is that they are ridiculed or told they are unnatural. It's like saying I'm wicked because I don't believe in god. There is no prize for being tolerant to some degree. I also think the Episcopalians who are allowing gay ministers qualifies them as most tolerant.

Stephanie said...

thanks for the comment.
Interesting post,and interesting discussion.

The thing about homosexuality is that it is mentioned in the new testament. What people don't realize, however, is that it's mentioned alongside things like lying and gluttony.

So-called "christians" who say hateful, awful things about homosexuality seem to overlook the rest of that passage. If they read the whole thing, they'd be forced to be much more loving, because I'm certain they're guilty of lying (who isn't?) and probably some of the other things listed in that passage.

Homosexuality isn't the issue. The issue is that we *all* do things that keep us separated from God. People who are so hateful towards homosexuals, or anyone else, seem to forget that we're all in the same boat.

The people I know who are truly followers of Jesus are kind and loving and accepting. Unfortunately, there just aren't very many people like that; which isn't a reflection on God, but a reflection on us, as humans.

Swordsandlace said...

This is a general response to TXAtheist comment:

"The Bible says we are to kill homosexuals, true Christianity."
This is found in Leviticus in the Old Testament, which is the law of Moses. Exodus and Deuteronomy are also filled with verses dealing with murder.
These are standard arguments against Christianity by many people.
Go to http://www.evilbible.com to see even more from the atheist point of view on the Bible.

The majority of these quotes (note I did not say all, deal with the Old Testament and the law of Moses)Some reference the letters from Paul in Romans.

Here's a nice subtheme from Romans to consider:

1) Salvation through Christ apart from the Mosaic Law (3:21-4:25) We live by faith in response to grace,rather than by the dead works of the law.

I'll be frank, and yes, I am going to mention the Old Testament in my answer. This appears to be a convenient argument for many non believers to avoid the topic of salvation through Jesus Christ.
That is the whole purpose of the New Testament, why the Church was founded, and why Christianity has survived over the last 2000 years. If it is such a myth, explain to me how has it survived for so long?

Jesus commands us to love one another. Bombing abortion clinics and flying planes into buildings is not committing heroic acts for God as stoning an adulterer would have been considered in the Old Covenant. We are living in the New Covenant, but we still have to strive to live a righteous life. This does not mean we can just do whatever we want without consequences.
This brings me to a theory I have about evolution. Do evolutionists argue that, because we have evolved, our nature to do right and wrong has evolved also, and therefore our judgmental skills have changed?

Anonymous said...

Stef, Romans 1 does mention it but you will not find any statements from the alleged jesus condemning it. (you can try but I am positive). I am incapable of doing things that keep me separated from god as I accept god is a myth. If you mean theists can be separated by god then I agree. I think we all have faults as humans, atheist and xian alike.

Swords, yes I did preface your answer concerning the Hebrew books because in Matthew the alleged jc said he didn't come to change the law but fulfil it so I don't understand how xians pick and choose the that the 10 C are ok and genesis is ok but Leviticus is thrown out.
My opinion on why xianity survived. Constantine declared xianity the official religion and Mithraism died out. Since then heretics were silenced, tortured or killed.
But the cowardly acts of bombings are done by people who think it pleases god.
I'm sure our neurological brains have changed somewhat and memes play a part in the individual hardwiring that our parents gave us but I think right and wrong is culturally developed.

Swordsandlace said...

Q: Why do most Christians today throw out the old testament teachings (Leviticus, Deuteronomy) and say we are under grace, when God gave us the laws/commandments as a guidepost for safe behavior? Is this a gentile thing? (I'm one, so I'd like to know). In other words, a lot of the laws, especially that relate to women in the old testament are ignored in Christian churches, and are not taught, much to women's detriment. I am curious because there is such an emphasis on the church praying for Israel, etc., but how can we be a light, when we throw out God's words as unnecessary?


A: The laws of Leviticus and Deuteronomy are part of God's covenant with the nation of Israel and have never applied to the world at large. Even rabbinic Judaism does not expect or even desire for non-Jews to keep all of these commandments. In rabbinic Judaism, a non-Jew is a "Righteous Gentile" if he keeps what are called the Seven Noachide Commandments, based on Genesis 9:1-17

1. Practice civil justice
2. Do not blaspheme
3. Do not practice idolatry
4. Do not commit incest (sometimes read to mean any sexual sin)
5. Do not commit murder
6. Do not steal
7. Do not eat flesh cut from a living animal. (sometimes read as prohibition against cruelty in general)



More importantly, the New Testament teaches in Galatians 3:23-25 and elsewhere that the Church is not under the Torah (or "Law," meaning the five books of Moses). In Acts 15 the issue arose in the early church as to whether Gentile believers should undergo conversion to Judaism. The decision of the apostles was that this was not necessary. They asked only four things of them:


1. Abstain from eating meat sacrificed to idols
2. Abstain from blood
3. Abstain from meat of strangled animals
4. Abstain from sexual immorality


(Acts 15:28-29)


This does not mean, of course, that incest, murder and thievery are acceptable forms of behavior, but these values are more or less universal, and were certainly familiar to the Greek converts. These things are mentioned elsewhere in the New Testament.(1 Corinthians 6:10, for example, or Galatians 5:19))

Notice that there is nothing in either of these lists about keeping the Sabbath or any Holy Day, or about avoiding certain kinds of meat or other food, or how to prepare a grain offering, or pay a bride price or stone a sorceress or any number of laws given to the wandering Israelites. In Galatians 4:8-11, Paul specifically chastises the Galatians for observing special days and seasons.
Paul saw the Law as a "pedagogue," using the Greek word for a slave whose job it was to usher his master's child safely to school. According to Galatians 3:24, the job of the law was to usher us to "Christ" (the Messiah). Once the "pedagogue" has delivered the child, he lets go -- otherwise his job is not done! By the same token, once we have come to Messiah, we must "let go" of the law, because otherwise it will hold us back. (Galatians 4:9) (How can a child go to school if he refuses to get off the bus?)

Of course there are good principles in the law which can still be applied ("Thou shalt not steal" for example is still a very good idea), but there a many, many rules which would only be a burden to us now. To use the bus driver analogy again, there may be some things the bus driver told you as a child that are still useful today. It's still a good idea to look both ways before crossing the street, and not to get out of a vehicle until it has come to a complete stop. But if you refuse to chew gum because a bus driver forbade it twenty years ago, that's just silly. You are no longer under that authority.
If you find an idea in Old Testament law that helps you become the kind of person that exudes love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22), then that's wonderful. Do that as long as it helps. But let it go as soon as you see that Keeping the Rule has become more important to you than these things. Paul said no law can match up to these things. (Galatians 5:23)


David Brown
AMF International
http://www.amfi.org

Anonymous said...

And this guy is who? Did you ask him why jesus failed to meet the messianic requirements? If you are going to use jewish sources then we are switching modes. You used him to justify how you pick and choose hebrew text but then you fail to realize why they don't ackowledge any greek text because it's not from god but greek mythology writers. However, it says xians are not under the first 5 books so again the 10 C are not to be followed unless you are trying to be a good gentile since you fail to meet the requirements to be one of god's "chosen people". If you'd like I can find a scholarly rebuttal since you believe what someone tells you is the right answer. Here is the right answer : There is no god. The bible is just mythology and jesus(who didn't exist) was a regular guy at best who was a cult leader like Charles manson, david koresh or jim jones. You should believe that.

Swordsandlace said...

Hi TX...

If you are saying that I should believe Jesus was a regular guy like cult leader Charles Manson (a murderer) David Koresh (also a murderer) and Jim Jones (and uh...yes...another murderer) then no, I'm not going to believe that. And no, I'm not going to believe that the Bible is mythology or that there is no God.
In your statement, you are telling me what I should believe.
Have I ever told you what you should believe? I don't recall that I have.
I could put anything up here, from many sources, as I like to do to support my side of a debate, and you would rebuke it. I don't claim to have all the answers, and neither do you.
As far as messianic law is concerned, I saw nothing wrong with using a Jewish source there, since the Old Testament was written for the Jews basically.
Okay, so according to atheists, this puts me in the same crowd as other people that "God is for people that are delusional, that need an imaginary friend to help them deal with reality." Well you have read my witness statement. Maybe you'd like to share how you went from being a Christian to an atheist?

Anonymous said...

Who did Koresh and Jones kill? That's my point. You will believe what you already think is true. You used a source that justifies belief in something that is unsubstantiated. If I use a UFO believer as a source to justify my belief UFO landeded in Roswell, NM then I really didn't make my case, just find someone else who already believes in a unsubstantiated claim. I suggest you look up the word myth and mythology. God is a myth and the bible is mythology by definition. I was making a point and not literally demanding you believe. The hebrew was written for followers of god. The greeks made up the greek books and the Council of Nicene sat down and voted which 66 books became the bible. It wasn't inspired just consensus. I know you thinks it's harsh but I will not beat around the bush, yes, I think people who think god is literally out there are delusional and have an imaginary friend. Those that think god is an idea to make their life better and not literal are being intellectual honest as I see it. I got ahold of a book and great professor. "Twenty questions:an introduction into philosophy" and from that point on I began to see both sides of arguments. One from the totalitarian, we know what's best as your leaders, compared to it's up to you to realize there are choices and consequences. After that I studied mythology to see that jesus was fabricated from Horus, Mithra and Krishna. etc.
http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/jesus_similar.html

Swordsandlace said...

TX:

I'm not offended or bothered by the fact that you think people who follow God are delusional and have a need to have an imaginary friend to help them deal with reality.
I talk to my imaginary friend every day. I admit this freely, so it's okay.
As a Christian, I am more concerned with what you've said about the fact that you are not separated from God because you do not believe. Now we both know I could go into why, but I won't. :)

I'm just very glad you've read my testimony and continue to read my blog. I hope you will continue to do so.

Anonymous said...

Swords, I will but please remember one thing...please. I was a xian and nothing you say will ever surprise me of you personally interpret the bible. I may disagree but I won't be surprised. I just had the type of conversation you mentioned about being separated from God with a xian I regularly talk to.

Swordsandlace said...

We are humans, and we can agree to disagree on many topics. This is what places us above the other creatures we inhabit the world with. The ability to have dialogue, thoughts, and form conclusions, whether it be based on personal experiences, what we've read, etc. etc. What matters is how we apply our personal philosophies to our lives. That's just how I see it. :)

Anonymous said...

And again we disagree. We no more special than any other creature. My buddy calls that christian-centric.

Swordsandlace said...

Why are we the only species that can say, decide we want to take a vacation somewhere, book the trip, pay for it, and go enjoy it? Or launch a rocket into space, or write a book? I don't know of another species that can do that. How is that difference between us and other species explained in atheism?

Anonymous said...

Technology. However, we've used that technology to think of vacations, using the computer and money as progress. Are we really happier? I enjoy time with my family more than all that. When I can fly like an hawk, have the vision of an eagle, the strength of an orangutan and swim like a dolphin then I'll think I'm superior to most other animals but we humans have an evolved brain and that gave us technology. However, not if you compare native African tribes to us Americans. Are we more evolved? Nope, just have different technology. The written language has been the difference. We pass on knowledge and that's my opinion to why our technology is so good.

Swordsandlace said...

Why can't other animals write a book, fly a spaceship, or have meaningful dialogue with one another? Yes I know that apes have a limited ability, but that's limited, and that isn't my point of the question. Why are humans the only ones with an advanced brain capable of doing these things? What exactly happened in the evolutionary process between us and other animals, as you say, to separate us in this manner?
I'm very interested to know and so is my husband. He's a chemist and mathematician who understands odds and just so happens to take the creationist route as well.

Swordsandlace said...

I'm still curious about an answer to the questions I posted above:

What exactly happened in the evolutionary process to separate us from other common animals to give us the ability to compose an opera, write a screenplay or paint something like The Mona Lisa? How did that happen and why are we different? There has to be a logical and scientific explanation.

Swordsandlace said...

I'm not convinced that technology is the answer to my question. In order to have technology, you have to have the intelligence to make it. It didn't just happen (poof)

If humans are part of the animal kingdom, then why aren't animals capable of doing the same things we can? You would think they would be able to, according to evolution. Again, the fact that humans are more intelligent than animals leads me to believe we were designed for a special purpose. If evolution is the answer, there must be some "split" at some point that separated us from the animals and we went on to evolve as the intelligent beings we are and the other parts of the animal kingdom stayed the same. Can scientists show that? I don't think they can. We are products of a superior being.