Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A moment of silence for the 9/11 victims

Okay, here I go being a pain in the ass about this again. But today is 9/11, and I can't think of a more universal and appropriate way to honor those killed on this day than with a moment of silence to reflect on what those events meant to each and every one of us as Americans.
I'm not praying, I'm not asking for God's intervention, I'm not even asking that others pray about it!!!! I'm not even going to pray in front of you!
Seriously, what were we each doing when we found out what had occurred? I was at home and got a phone call that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. At first I thought it was just a Cessna or small craft that got off course somehow. I didn't want to believe the caller on the other end of the line when she told me, "No, it was a commercial jet."
I always thought that someday something might happen like that, so when I turned on the TV, my worst fears had been realized. When I saw the chaos and imagined what was going on at ground zero, it hit me. I know this from experience having been involved in Oklahoma City. I cannot even begin to put into words the things that went through my mind.
You just can't turn emotions like that on and off like a water faucet.
Yes, having a moment of silence for the purpose of merely singling out someone so you can prosletyze them later about whether or not they are saved is completely wrong. I do not believe that is right. But is that really that prevalent an issue here in this case?

TODAY is why I believe in the moment of silence. A moment of silence to honor, respect and remember people like the firefighters, policemen, rescue workers, and the passengers and flight crew of United 93 is NOT wrong. It's NOT making you pray or subject you to someone else's prayer. You're honoring other human beings who have just so happened to die a horrible death and suffer the most horrible and painful of situations (i.e. the torture of realizing that the plane you're on is headed toward a building like the White House or Pentagon and there's nothing you can do about it.)
We can't compartmentalize grief, and fear, and the need for support during a trying time. I know this because I've tried to do it. And failed miserably.

So why NOT remember these people publicly in this manner? Or are we just ashamed?





Yep, I'm now going to put up a conservative transcript here about the moment of silence issue from the Glenn Beck show. Yes, this is a conservative viewpoint.

Aired Aug 9th 2007

PAGLIARULO: This week, we learned that people in New York City are attempting as to ban the "B" word. And you know, we can`t say the "F" word, or the "N" word. Actually, there are two "F" words you cast say.

But according to David Wallace Croft of Dallas, Texas, a self- proclaimed militant atheist, you shouldn`t be using the "P" word either, "pray." Well, at least when it comes to public education, anyway.

A state law in Texas, established in 2003, requires each school morning begin with a moment of silence. The law says students may, quote, "reflect, pray, meditate or engage in any other solemn activity," end quote. Croft claims this is unconstitutional and the word in question implies religious intent.

To help me understand where Croft is coming from is Ellen Johnson, president of American Atheists.

Hi, Ellen.

ELLEN JOHNSON, PRESIDENT, AMERICAN ATHEISTS: Hi, Joe.

PAGLIARULO: Well, you know, it`s good to have you on. And I`m wondering, how exactly is a moment of silence where you have no idea of what I`m doing, how does that indicate that I`m praying? Or how does that institute religion in school? Please help me out.

JOHNSON: But that`s not what it`s all about. The people who want this moment of silence want prayer. That`s always been the reason behind it. In fact, they can`t have you not doing anything. They can`t have children opting to do something else. It has to be about prayer.

So if they find that students aren`t praying, they`re going to encourage them to do it. The teacher`s going to pray, and other kids who do pray are going to do it loudly. And those who don`t pray are going to be identified as non-believers, as atheists. And they`re going to be set up for proselytizing and harassment, which is what usually happens.

But this is not about being fair and giving students the opportunity to do something else.

PAGLIARULO: Well, I can appreciate where you`re coming from. But absolutely -- you`re absolutely wrong here. And here`s why. I actually do a morning show in San Antonio. I do another show in Houston, Texas.

This is law in -- since 2003 in Texas. And if anybody is proselytizing or forcing kids to pray -- you and I are on the same side here -- that should not be happening. And if you`ve got individual instances where that did happen, that teacher should be reported, because there is -- that should not be establishing any religion in school.

JOHNSON: We hear these things all the time, Joe...

PAGLIARULO: Hold on. I was very calm and listened to you. Here`s the problem with your whole entire argument. If my kid, my children, I`ve got three daughters in Texas schools.

JOHNSON: Right.

PAGLIARULO: If they`re standing there silently for a moment, and they are every morning, because they do this moment of silence. And if they decide to say, "Please, God, help me with this test." Or if they decide to say, "Man, I love my iPod." If they decide to say, "Boy, that guy is pretty cute back there in the other row," that`s up to them. This is the moment of silence for them to get themselves ready for the day.

Nobody but nobody has yet in the years my kids have been in those schools, has told them to pray. Now tell me where you got that somebody is telling them to pray?

JOHNSON: Why don`t your children take care of their personal needs before they go to school? Why do we have to stop everybody -- see, this is all about having everybody see your children pray, and hear your children pray.

PAGLIARULO: No, no, it`s a moment of silence.

JOHNSON: Let me talk. Everybody`s going to stop what they do while your children pray.

PAGLIARULO: It`s a moment of silence, though. I let you talk. I promised this is going to be a nice -- a nice conversation. But...

JOHNSON: It is.

PAGLIARULO: But you just -- you`re throwing up things that are absolutely...

JOHNSON: But your children should take care of their personal business before they get to school.

PAGLIARULO: You`re throwing out patently untrue things. This is a moment of silence. I don`t know if you`ve looked up the definition lately, but silence does not mean you`re overtly, loudly and along with your teacher holding hands and praying out loud. It just doesn`t happen.

JOHNSON: You have to sit in my shoes and hear from people around the country. This is part of what goes on in the public schools. The religious -- the public schools are under siege by the religious who have to get to the kids. Nobody really seriously wants a moment of silence. They don`t want them to meditate. They want them to pray.

PAGLIARULO: I`m going to tell you what I think this is about. Ellen, I can appreciate where you`re coming from. I understand the argument. I understand the debate point.

JOHNSON: OK.

PAGLIARULO: But you`re way off base here. Here`s why.

JOHNSON: No.

PAGLIARULO: If my children are standing there silently, it`s none of your business to try to legislate what`s going on in their mind. You can`t tell me that their constitutional right to free thought is somehow affecting you or your kids and the fact that you don`t believe in God.

JOHNSON: It`s not...

PAGLIARULO: That`s your choice. I don`t want you to believe in God if they don`t want to. I don`t want you telling my kids what they can or can`t do in the classroom silently.

JOHNSON: It`s not about your kids. It`s about the ones who are praying.

PAGLIARULO: That`s the key word here.

JOHNSON: It`s not about your children, because they can pray all they want on their own.

PAGLIARULO: It is about my children. Ellen, thank you. Appreciate it. Back after this.


Now a definition from wikipedia:

A moment of silence is the expression for a period of silent contemplation, prayer, reflection, or meditation. Similar to flying a flag at half-mast, a moment of silence is often a gesture of respect, particularly in mourning for those who have recently died or as part of a commemoration ceremony of a tragic historical event. One minute is a common length of time for the commemoration, though other periods of time may be chosen, normally connected in some way with the event being commemorated (there might be a minute given for every death commemorated, for example). During the moment of silence, participants may typically bow their heads, remove hats, and refrain from speaking or moving places for the duration. A person officiating or presiding over the gathering will be responsible for the declaring and timing of the period of silence.

A moment of silence may be accompanied by other acts of symbolic significance, such as the tolling of bells, the release of doves or balloons, or a performance of the Last Post.

In recent years a trend has developed (particularly within English sports fans) to fill the traditional minute of silence with a minute's applause. Psychologically this is seen by many to convey a fond celebration of the deceased rather than the traditional solemnity. Recent recipients of the minute's applause include international footballers George Best and Alan Ball



and now we go to

"The Third Gore-Bush Presidential Debate"

MODERATOR: Good evening from the Field House at Washington University in St. Louis. I'm Jim Lehrer of the News Hour on PBS. And I welcome you to this third and final Campaign 2000 debate between the Democratic candidate for president, Vice President Al Gore, and the Republican candidate, Governor George W. Bush of Texas. Let's welcome the candidates now. Before proceeding tonight we would like to observe a moment of silence in memory of Governor Mel Carnahan of Missouri, who along with his son and his former chief of staff, died in a private plane crash last night near St. Louis.

No comments: